Location: The Library is located in the West end of the second floor of the Seeley W. Mudd Laboratory of the Geological Sciences (North Mudd).
Geology Library hours and floor plan images.
- From the North entrance of North Mudd, there is a short set of steps to get into the building. Once in the building, there’s an elevator to the second floor as well as a set of stairs.
- For patrons who cannot use stairs:
- Enter the library through the South Building (South Mudd).
- There is a ramp alongside the driveway between North and South Mudd buildings.
- Take this ramp up, then turn right at the double glass doors into South Mudd.
- Down the hallway there is an elevator to your left.
- Take the elevator to the third floor.
- Exit the elevator and turn right.
- Travel through an outdoor space connecting the buildings (the third floor space is exposed to the elements).
- Go through double doors to enter North Mudd.
- Go right once in the building and the elevator will be on your right.
- Take the elevator in North Mudd down to the second floor.
- When you exit the elevator, turn left and you’ll see the Geology Library.
- The monograph room (Room I) is a part of South Mudd; it is connected to the Library. There are five steps to access that room.
- For patrons who cannot use the steps:
- Return to the main (North) entrance and take the elevator on your right up to the third floor.
- Turn left upon exiting the elevator.
- Travel through the outdoor space connecting the buildings.
- Go through the double doors to enter South Mudd, then the elevator is on your left.
- Take the elevator to the second floor.
- Turn right and proceed down the hall.
- You will see the double glass doors, which enters South Mudd.
- The Library is happy to page books from the Geology Library and Map Room and make them available for pick up at Sherman Fairchild Library.
- A book return is available at all times just outside the North entrance of North Mudd. Another book return is available inside on the second floor of North Mudd near the library entrance.
- Books may also be returned inside the library on the designated book return cart.
- Non-accessible gendered restrooms are located on the second floor of North Mudd just outside of the Geology library. Accessible restrooms are located in the sub-basement of North Mudd. Exit the library into North Mudd and the elevators will be on your right. Once down in the sub-basement, exit the elevators to your right to find accessible gender-neutral restrooms.
- The Geology Library is a quiet study space: occasional discussion is allowed, phones should be set to vibrate or silent, headphones should be set at low volume.
- Because the Geology library connects North and South Mudd, there can be an increase in volume when people are passing through.
- Lighting in the entrance to the library and throughout the stacks is fluorescent. However, the lighting in the study area is incandescent but very dim. There is natural light from two large windows to the West and two large windows from the North. There are four study carrels with directed over-desk LED lighting.