Reading Room Hours
Our reading room is open by appointment only, with at least 24 hours notice. To make an appointment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 626-395-2704.
|Monday to Wednesday and Friday
||9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
||10:30 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
We are closed on weekends and major holidays.
We are located in the sub-basement of the Beckman Institute.
400 South Wilson Avenue
Caltech’s main website has maps and directions.
Parking and Transit
Self-serve paid visitor parking is available in the South Wilson Avenue parking structures, south of East Del Mar Boulevard:
Parking Structure 1: 341 S. Wilson Ave.
Parking Structure 2: 405 S. Wilson Ave.
The pay station for both structures is located in Parking Structure 1 only.
Some restricted parking is available on adjacent streets.
We are 1.2 miles from the Metro L Line train, or “Gold Line,” which connects Pasadena to Los Angeles Union Station and several other stations in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley. The closest stations for walking are Del Mar to our west and Lake to our north. Caltech is connected to the L Line and other points in Southern California by several bus lines, including the Metro 177 and 267 buses and the Pasadena 10 bus.
Reading Room Policies
- The following are not permitted in the reading room: food, beverages, gum, pens, binders, folders, scanners, coats, or bags.
- The following are permitted: pencils, notebooks, laptops, tablets, cameras, cell phones, and headphones.
- To protect collections, handle archival materials only with clean hands, and avoid lotions.
- To keep collections organized, remove only one folder at a time from a box. Keep the folder flat on the table and all items in their existing order. Return the folder to the same location within the box.
- Do not lean on, write on, trace, or fold archival materials.
- When handling rare books, use book cradles for support.
- Handle photographs by their backs or edges.
- You may photograph archival materials for personal research use. Or for a fee, the Archives can arrange to have the materials scanned.
- Archival collections may contain private or confidential information. If you find any of the following, notify staff and do not take notes or photographs.
- 1947 or later: Formal personnel, student, or medical records regarding living people.
- 1972 or later: Papers related to personal, non-professional subjects such as family and romance; assessments of individuals such as peer review or prize nominations; and Caltech Board of Trustees records.
- 1997 or later: Caltech administrative records.
Caltech’s main website has detailed instructions concerning wired, wireless and remote access.
The Caltech campus has four main dining locations, each with its own menu.
Local Pasadena Information
Local accommodations close to campus:
Additional information regarding accommodations, dining, etc. may be obtained at Visit Pasadena.