Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Caltech Library offers a variety of technology for check out at the TechHub (Caltech Hall first floor) and Sherman Fairchild Library circulation desk. Most technology can be reserved. Visit the equipment reservation page for more information.
There is no charge to check out any of the equipment but you may be charged an overdue fine or replacement fee if items are not returned on time, damaged, or lost.
At check out, you will need to read and sign a "Laptop/eDevice Policy & Authorization" form.
Different eDevices have different loan periods so please verify the due date before leaving the library. Overdue items will result in fines and blocked accounts.
If you believe you cannot return the item on time, please contact the library.
All items should be returned directly to either the TechHub or Sherman Fairchild Library circulation desk.
The item must not be left unattended for any reason.
You assume full responsibility for the item while it is checked out to you.
Cameras, Blu-Ray players, and projectors may be reserved under the following conditions:
- The request must be made at least one week prior to the desired reservation period. Reservations less than one week will not be considered.
- Kindles cannot be reserved ahead of time.
- We will do our best to accommodate all reservation requests but, due to demand, we cannot guarantee all reservations will be confirmed.
- Reserved equipment cannot be renewed and must be returned at the end of the checkout period.
- Laptops, iPads, and computer accessories such as keyboards, mice, adapters, and cables are available first come, first serve and cannot be reserved.
- Complete reservation request form.
iPad Loaner Program
Caltech's iPad Loaner Program will provide iPads and Apple Pencils to students for online collaboration and course work during the 2020, 2021, and 2022 academic year.
Visit http://learn.caltech.edu/tech-tools/iPad-Loaner for information about the program. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the program not answered on that page. Contact email@example.com to troubleshoot using a loaner iPad for online collaboration.
Important: Before returning an iPad to the Library please read and follow the iPad Reset Process.
Laptops (7 day loan)
- Dell Latitude
- RJ-45 port 10/100/1000 Mbps port
- 2 USB 3.2 Type-A ports
- 1 USB 3.2 Type-A port with PowerShare
- 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort
- 1 Universal Audio Jack
- 1 HDMI 2.0 port
Kindles (7 day loan)
- If you believe you need the Kindle for longer, you must bring the Kindle in to the Sherman Fairchild Library and re-check it out.
- Browse the Kindle Titles in the Caltech Library catalog.
- You are permitted to select titles to be added to the Kindle, while it is checked out to you. The total cost of these additions must not be more than $25.00 during the loan period. If the additions to the Kindle, while checked out to you, total more than $25.00, your bursar account will be charged the exceeding amount.
- If there is a title you are interested in and its purchase price is more than $25.00, please contact the Library. The Library will review the title and determine if it can be added.
- Magazines, games, or other applications are not permitted to be added to the Kindles.
- While you are encouraged to add a title of interest to our collection, the Library reserves the right to remove titles that fall outside of the scope of the Caltech Library's collection development policy.
Digital Cameras & Lenses (3 day loan)
- 1 Canon Vixia Camcorder
- 32GB internal flash memory
- Recording time on internal memory varies based on chosen Mbps
- Standard SD memory card can be inserted if desired (not supplied by the Library)
- 1 Canon Rebel Camera
- 8GB memory card is provided but must be returned with camera
- Nikon 50mm lens
- Nikon AF-S FX Nikkor 50mm f/1/8G Lens with auto focus for Nikon SFLR cameras
- Nikon 70-200mm lens
- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
- 1 Tripod for Canon Vixia or Canon Rebel
- 2 Freetalk Conference web cameras
- Soft case
- USB 2.0 connectivity
- Compatible with PC and Mac
- Internal microphone
- Quick start guide (included in case)
Portable Blu-Ray Players (3-hour loan during term; 24 hour loan during summer break)
The Blu-ray players and external drives are available for 3 hours while classes are in session and for 24 hours during the summer.
- Pioneer BDR-XD05B
- Slim Portable External USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Writer
- Soft case
- USB 3.0 cable
- DVD disc with Media Suite 10
- NAVISKAUTO 10.1 inch Full HD Portable Blu-Ray DVD Player
- BD, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-Video, VCD, CD, CD-R/RW discs
- MOV/AVI/MP4/VOB/FLV/MKV/TRP/TS/MPG/MPEG file formats
- Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, MP3, WMA, AAC audio formats
- JPEG, PNG, GIF image formats
- 3 hour rechargeable battery
- USB and SD card support up to 1920x1080 at 30fps HD video file playback
- USB port support Dolby Audio
- HDMI output up to 1080P 60Hz 30fps
- Soft case
- 1 car cigarette charger
- 1 wall charger / AC adapter
- 1 infared remote control
- 1 RCA AV cable
Yeti Nano: Blue Yeti USB Mic (3 day loan)
- Output: USB
- Link to library catalog
Additional Equipment (24 hour loan unless otherwise indicated)
TechHub - Caltech Hall 1st Floor (3 day loan)
- Dell M409WX Projector (User Manual)
- Epson 1771w Projector (User Manual)
- Laser pointers/presenters
- 84 inch projector screen
Sherman Fairchild Library - 1st Floor
- Ethernet cables (24 hour loan)
- Audio cables (24 hour loan)
- Power adapters for Dell/Mac (24 hour loan)
- Apple Mac HDMI and VGA adapters (3 hour checkout only)
- Laser pointers/presenters (3 hour checkout only)
- TI-89 Graphing Calculator (3 hour checkout only)