Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using the Xerox Printers at SFL
Scanning to Email
- Log into Xerox machine by swiping your UID or manually input it on the touchscreen.
- Click "Access Device”.
- Push “Scanner” button.
- Load material to be scanned in feed tray or place on glass.
- Click “manual entry” under “Email” tab to enter email address or "Add Me" to email it to your personal Caltech email address.
- Click “Scan Settings” on left to change document settings (color, resolution, size etc.)
- Click Start. Document(s) will scan.
- If scanning from the glass rather than sheet feeder, you need to press # after scanning the last page of the document.
Using the Epson Flatbed Scanners with Windows (SFL 1st floor)
Scanning to PDF using Acrobat
- Click Start -> All Programs -> Acrobat X1 Pro -> Adobe Acrobat X1 Pro
- Put your item face-down on the flatbed scanner
- Click Create -> PDF from Scanner -> Autodetect Color Mode (unless you specifically want a black & white or grayscale document)
- After you've scanned the first page you'll have the choice to save the scan or add another page.
Scanning using EPSON Scan
- Click Start -> All Programs -> EPSON -> EPSON Scan -> EPSON Scan
- In the upper right corner is a drop-down for Scanning Mode. The default is Full Auto Mode. Full Auto Mode will scan one image, save it as a JPEG in your "My Pictures" directory and then close the application. If this is what you want, just click "Scan".
- Otherwise change the mode to Home, Office or Professional mode which will allow you to scan multiple images in a row, preview scans, select the area of the screen to be scanned, or change settings such as file type, file location, or resolution.
Using the Standalone (USB) Epson Flatbed Scanner (SFL 1st floor)
With a MacBook Air
- Plug USB cable into the MacBook Air
- Open Applications Folder
- Select "EPSON Scan"
- By default it will use Full Auto Mode. Full Auto Mode will scan one image, save it as a JPEG in your "My Pictures" directory and then close the application. If this is what you want, just click "Scan".
- Otherwise select "Customize" to scan multiple images in a row, preview scans, select the area of the screen to be scanned, or change settings such as file type, file location, or resolution.
With your own computer
- To use the scanner with your own computer, you'll need to download and install the Epson Perfection v600 Photo drivers.
- Once the drivers are installed, you may use the EPSON Scan instructions above or scan with Adobe Acrobat, if you have it installed.