Archive for March, 2007
The Friends of Caltech Libraries cordially invite you to a special spring luncheon – to be held at the Athenaeum Hall of Associates on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 from 11:30 am – 2:00 pm.Â
Professor Kerry A. Emanuel, from the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, will be the guest speaker.
About the Author:Â Dr. Kerry Emanuel has been a professor of atmospheric science at MIT since 1981.Â His research interests focus on tropical meteorology and climate, with a specialty in hurricane physics.Â His interests also include cumulus convection, and advanced methods of sampling the atmosphere in aid of numerical weather prediction.Â He is the author or co-author of over 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers, and two books, including Divine Wind: The History and Science of Hurricanes, recently released by Oxford University Press and aimed at a general audience.Â One of Kerry Emanuel’s major accomplishments this past year has been to show that hurricane intensity is in fact predictable, many days in advance, if the track is reasonably well forecast.
Reservations: $25.00/members and $30.00/non-members per person
Sponsorship of Student Attendee: $25.00/per student
Please make checks payable to “The Friends”, mail by April 6th, 2007 to: The Friends of Caltech Libraries, Caltech 1-32, Pasadena, CA 91125
For questions concerning The Friends membership and events, please phone 626-395.6411.Â New members are always welcome!
An upgrade of the IEEE Xplore Digital Library is scheduled for Friday, 9 March. During this deployment, the system will be unavailable for up to three hours beginning at 2:00pm EST.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
As a result of this upgrade, the IEEE Xplore digital library will be enhanced with:
* List of Top Downloaded Articles at the Periodical Level
– Users will be able to view the top accessed documents for the month for any IEEE or IET journal or magazine
* Updates to Publication Pages
– Several pages will be customized to cross-reference items such as joint issues and other special circumstances
* IEEE Press Book Enhancements
– Bibliographic data for books will be consolidated into a single abstract
* Browse Pages Update
– Browse pages will be updated to reflect IET Title Changes
* IEEE Expert Now Continuing Education Courses
– Enables IEEE Members to purchase access to any of the individual IEEE Expert Now Educational Courses. Organizations can also subscribe to the full collection of IEEE e-learning courses for their users. For more information on the IEEE Expert Now e-learning collection for organizations, visit http://www.ieee.org/expertnow
Today, March fifth, from NOON until 1 PM, LIT and IMSS will be taking ALL network access to the ENTIRE SFL server room and SFL basement off-line for a MAJOR building switch upgrade.
Non-CLS connectivity, like wireless, external www sites and campus-hosted applications should remain functional, but please anticipate intermittent connectivity.
ScienceDirect will be unavailable Saturday, March 3rd for approximately 9 hours starting at 3:30 AM.Â This downtime is necessary to improve the performance of ScienceDirect and to ensure a high level of reliability in the coming years.Â We apologize for any inconvenience that this will cause to ScienceDirect users.Â