Printing from public workstations and public checkout laptops
1. Library public workstations are pre-mapped to the closest public printer. Nothing needs to be done by the user.
Printing from a personal Windows XP or Windows Vista machine
1. [click] Start
2. [click] Run
3. [type] \\126.96.36.199
4. [press] enter or [click] Okay
5. A new window should open up with a list of all available printers (and you may be challenged with authentication credentials depending on how you’re logged on to your current machine
6. Locate the printer you want to connect to (for example, SFL1-PRINTERS) and either [double-click] that printer or [right-click] it and [click] connect from the newly opened window
INSTALL A PRINTER WITH CUPs 1.4.6 (SNOW LEOPARD)
This documentation will contain the steps and procedures for connecting a Mac, with the Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.x operating system installed, to our public printers.
Step 0: Install latest Xerox WorkCentre 7545 drivers
- Make sure you have the latest Xerox WorkCentre 7545 Mac OS X drivers installed on your computer. You can locate them here: http://www.support.xerox.com/support/workcentre-7545-7556/downloads/enus.html?associatedProduct=XRIP_WC7525_base&operatingSystem=macosx
Step 1: Access CUPS via local web browser
- Launch Safari (Firefox has known issues with CUPs).
- In the URL bar enter http://localhost:631
Step 2: Add printer through CUPs Administration
- Click the Administration tab
- Click the Add Printer button under Printers
- When you select the Add Printer button, you will be challenged for local machine administrator authentication credentials. This is an area where a lot of mistakes happen and you can potentially enter in the wrong information. What your system is specifically asking you for is your local physical machine administrator credentials because you will be making a change to the local physical machine service. Do not utilize your network credentials for this authentication because it will fail.
- Enter your local machine administrator credentials in the newly opened window and then Click the Log In button.
- Your system might pause a little bit while it is progressing to the next stage. Don't Panic. This is okay.
- Click the LPD/LPR Host or Printer bullet and Click the Continue button.
- Enter lpd://188.8.131.52/SFL1-PRINTERS in the Connection bar and then Click the Continue button.
- In the Add Printer section, the data you enter here is really just for you. Note: the Name bar cannot contain spaces due to its Unix orientation. Click the Continue button after you've filled in your data.
- Scroll through the selections in the Make window until you locate the Xerox choice and Click the Continue button.
- Scroll through the selections in the Model window until you locate the Xerox WC 7545, 2.6.0 (en, en, bg, cs, da, de, el, es, fi, fr, hu, it, ja, ko, nl, no, pl, pt, ro, ru, sv, tr, uk, zh_CN, zh_TW) choice and Click the Add Printer button.
- If successfully added you will be brought to the Default Options page. You are done. There is no need to modify any settings here. You can go ahead and exit the browser.