The Friends of Caltech Libraries Advocacy Council (The Friends) is devoted to the proposition that a great institution includes great libraries. The Friends seek to assist the Caltech Libraries and the Caltech Archives in developing scope and quality.Commitment to the Library’s diverse and important projects has made “friends” into “advocates”.
For more information or to be added to our mailing list, please contact: Friends @ library.caltech.edu or Robin Izon at 626.395.6411
Ongoing projects of the Caltech Library and the Caltech Archives:
- Oral Histories
- Senior Thesis Prize
- Digital Preservation of Archives Collections
- CODA : The Caltech Collection of Open Digital Archives: the Institute's collections of faculty research publications and other content supporting the mission of the Institute.
Funds raised through The Friends sponsored events have contributed to the following:
- Renovation and upgrade of the Group Study Rooms in the Sherman Fairchild Library.
- Upgrading the Geology Library with a large format scanner/printer so that digital maps can be printed and analog maps can be scanned to file.
- Improvement of self-service in the libraries through the acquisition of self book check-out stations.
- Access to retrospective databases, the Web of Science databases: Science Citation Index from 1945-present (previously 1979-present); Social Science Citation Index from 1956-present (previously 1979-present).
- Conservation of rare and valuable books held in the Institute Archives.
- Restoration of the Astrophysics Library to its original and historic beauty.
- Through the Book Fund, the purchase of books for students which are outside the normal coverage of the libraries on campus.
- Support for staff to keep abreast of library technology by attending seminars and workshops.
- The microfiliming of early Caltech theses, thus helping to preserve these records of Caltech research.
Gifts and Donations
To make a monetary gift to the Friends of the Caltech Libraries you may do this by mail or by credit card through the Caltech Gifts site.
Download and complete form and mail payments to:
The Friends of Caltech Libraries
Millikan Library 1-32
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91125